No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what was this used for  (Read 884 times)

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
what was this used for
« on: December 26, 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Does anyone know what this cut glass thing was used for? It is 8.5 inches tall 5 inches diameter at base and 3.37 at top. Its like 2 chambers. Viewed from the underside there is a large hole (1.5 inches diameter) that leads into a clear glass dome inside the main cut glass body, this dome goes in for aptx. 3.5 inches. The main cut glass body can contain liquid from its base to were the top notch is.  I can only think that perhaps some sort of heat source was applied to the underside of the dome to keep liquid warm in the main body?  The main body is ground around top edge and looks as if it had a lid fitted. The notch at the top could have been for a ladle?
Hoping that one of you learned people will have the answer.

Thanks in advance Mick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: what was this used for
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 11:27:17 AM »
sorry, no idea, but just a thought re the cutting which looks to be what the guys on the other side of the pond call 'cane' and we usually refer to as hobnail    -    might suggest this is a States piece.
Would agree that the cut-out below the top rim, suggests that a ladle or long spoon might have been part of this piece of kit, plus a lid of sorts. 

Don't quite follow your description ..............   are you saying there is actually a hole in the underside  -  and what is the extent, if any, of wear?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 11:45:21 AM »
Thanks for your prompt reply,. yes there is a hole in the underside (1.5inches diameter), and has signs of wear scratches on the underside.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 12:09:41 PM »
thanks - the only piece of kit that I can think of off-hand which has a purpose made hole in the underside is a toddy-lifter ....  and those are unlike this thing, and usually a lot smaller.   sorry - end of my imagination.  :)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 01:00:46 PM »
 I'd guess this is supposed to sit on top of another piece hence the wear underneath. There are "candle warmers" online into which a candle is placed for keeping coffee/gravy? etc warm. The candle wouldn't come into contact with the glass but the heat would rise into the dome above. Silex is one common make.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »
If it was turned upside down would a cable pass through the large cut out and a light fitting sit on top?
Tim

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
I'd guess this is supposed to sit on top of another piece hence the wear underneath. There are "candle warmers" online into which a candle is placed for keeping coffee/gravy? etc warm. The candle wouldn't come into contact with the glass but the heat would rise into the dome above. Silex is one common make.

I think you are right, I was thinking that it was for some sort of heating but could not think of a heat sorce. I was unaware of a silex type candle warmer. Now looking at one it all makes sense and I am pretty sure what the item was used for.

Again thanks for help much appreciated.

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 10:32:52 AM »
If it was turned upside down would a cable pass through the large cut out and a light fitting sit on top?
Tim

Yes it would, but that does not explain the hole in the base and the inner domed part. Anyway thanks for your suggestion and interest it's much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand