No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved Lead decanter any ideas of age/Origin Please thanks  (Read 1193 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Engraved Lead decanter any ideas of age/Origin Please thanks
« on: January 14, 2022, 06:35:54 PM »
Light weight decanter only 7.5" to the top then the stopper, I think the rings are molded rather than
applied seems unusual seen as they have gone to the trouble of cutting not to apply the rings?
Would love to know an age estimate and or country of origin although that part might be more difficult.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Engraved Lead decanter any ideas of age/Origin Please thanks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:06:19 PM »
These are usually described as being Georgian and I think yours is probably English from that period, but I'm no expert. This link might help.

https://www.18cglass.co.uk/georgian-glass-decanters/#:~:text=The%20%EE%80%80decanter%EE%80%81%20was%20a%20necessity%20in%20the%20best,the%20customer%20to%20see%20the%20wine%20and%20
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:12:33 PM »
had you not said this was lightweight, I'd have been nearly 100% happy  -   this bottle shows decoration in what is known as the 'vesica' pattern which was a signature motif of the Cork Colass Co., and if genuine would date the bottle to c. 1800, give or take.           The 'vesica' pattern - the longish oval cartouche filled with cross hatching over pillar flutes (finger bottoms) - was common on Irish glass specifically.     Above the vesica it looks like slice cut panels.          On genuine pieces there should be some slight 'kick' in the base  -  this one shows much wear and a wide shallow pontil depression.        The colour looks o.k., but 'lightweight sounds at odds with what I would have assumed was a fairly heavy piece, but I've never owned one so can't be sure.       The fact that you have four neck rings appears to be at odds with the pix in Phelps Warren, which assume you don't have.           The 'target' stopper is correct period.           Presume you don't have McConnell either ;D

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 07:56:10 PM »
You say the neck rings are moulded, are you sure? If you stick your finger in the neck - don’t get stuck ;D - if the rings are moulded you should feel the indentation on the inside where the glass has been blown into the mould? If it’s moulded that might account for it feeling light, but I believe moulded neck rings would be a 20th century feature.

It looks like the stopper has a hollow peg, is that the case? Also, does the top of the peg of the stopper sit far below the top rim of the bottle?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 10:41:10 PM »
 Thanks for replying lots too go off great  ;) The base has a slight kick only slight when viewed from the side of the bottle. The inside of the bottle when i put fingers inside i could feel the indentations as mentioned this should mean it is mold blown and maybe helps with the lower weight. The size is not a large decanter only 7.5" to top of the bottle. This curious decanter has had me confused ever since i purchased it with a couple of other early decanters one was a Cork glass co one with the mark to the base and an early 18th Bohemian liquor engraved globe decanter which confuses more i know...The Cork marked one is molded to the lower part of the decanter as many Irish decanters were made. The stopper does sit a few mm below the top rim and it is hollow maybe 1/4" at most though.
I must say this has a good grey color to it without trying to confuse matters more  :)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
I’ve not been through McConnell but in the Miller’s Checklist book, West says about Regency Decanters that “..there were revivals of the Regency style in the 1880s and 1930s. Often too bright in colour, they have neck rings that are moulded out of the body rather than applied...”. My feeling is the moulded neck rings makes the body date to at least around 1900.

The hollow stopper peg is a modern feature isn’t it? Not sure it matters as if the top of the peg sits almost 1/4 inch bellow the top the neck, I would say it is a replacement - regardless of how well it fits otherwise. Apart from the peg being low in the neck, aesthetically the bulls eye disk looks too close to the bottle rim to me.

It does look old though, sounds like you got some other interesting Decanters with it.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 11:34:17 AM »
There are a few of these neck ring decanters coming up in the thread I have running on the 1928 Army Navy catalogue

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 12:10:23 PM »
according to McConnell, the hollow base to the stopper (taster peg) goes back to George III (last quarter C18), so this one  -  assuming it's the original  -  would not be a problem.

Neil  -  do you think the bowl shown in your catalogue page is intended to be a finger bowl?             But, I'm still puzzled by the fact that the decanter here has four neck rings  -  which don't think I've seen before.    Perhaps the large bottom one isn't intended to be a neck ring>

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »
Yes it's a finger bowl on the 1928 pic

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 12:32:20 PM »
thanks  -  not the shape that I'm accustomed to seeing, but thought a good chance it was.          All rinsers and fingers bowls I see have a parallel straight sides with a bottom curve leading to the foot area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand