No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Engraved Lead decanter any ideas of age/Origin Please thanks  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Engraved Lead decanter any ideas of age/Origin Please thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 12:44:29 PM »
I’ve not come across a ‘taster peg’ yet, I’ll keep an eye out, interesting thanks. The stopper may well be collectible on its own.

Paul, what do you think of the moulded neck rings? What’s the earliest date for those in your view?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
Am also puzzled at the four rings on this decanter i have read that four are rarer somewhere i can't for the life of me remember but i can say that when i have had four ring necks in the past they were always cut and not molded like this odd bod here, I have taken a picture with the others i purchased it is next to a genuine Cork marked one and the colors is similar to it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
Ekimp  -  sorry, really not sure about dating of moulded neck rings - there seems little in the books to help  -  though it would be easy to say that it came about more or less the same time that industrial methods gave massive boost to press-moulding c. 1840 ish., but I don't think that would be true - always possible that moulding for neck rings presented some difficulties in the early C19.   
There are moulded bottles from v. early C19, but captions seem quiet on the subject of whether the rings were applied or moulded, and not easy to see just from pix in books.     I think there were many instances of prefigured blanks that were pressed but still had rings applied.          At a guess, which isn't a v.g. way of doing things, I'd suggest c. 1830 - 1850/

yes, agree that taster pegs probably collectible on their own  -  picture attached of my one and only, as must have parted with the others.           this one is about 5.5 inches long (c. 14 cms.) and has the cavity at the opposite end to the one here - in view of size think it might have been designed with something special in mind.        Think you might get p ...   on two or three of these and always an idea that you might walk around with this in your pocket when visiting friends and sampling their booze discreetly. ;) 

You have some nice glass LEGSY - very envious here.     Don't think I've ever read anything about four neck rings, but often forget what I have read. 

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 04:47:38 PM »
Thanks Paul. So moulded neck rings probably later than the date indicated by the style of decoration. Yes, doesn’t seem much in the books. I would’ve thought McConnell would have a chapter on reproductions.

The tasting cup on the outside of the bottle seems more hygienic than one that gets put back in the neck :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 07:24:17 PM »
hmmm  -  my own opinion would be that keeping the cavity inside the bottle might be more hygenic  -  that way dust or germs wouldn't get into the part meant for the booze - but of course in these days of Covid and Omicron probably best not to use it. ;D

I've looked through McConnell but really nothing I could see that helps with moulded rings, and agree this seems remarkable  -  perhaps he wasn't sure about dates too.       Oh well, here's to the next bottle we might find, and hoping it's a good 'un.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 08:16:25 PM »
 ;)Thanks for all the comments a tidy sum of information i will add any that i come to find when i get
chance to check my books i will find it i think its a Thomas Rohan book that its in but need to look.
All the best Dan

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2022, 09:40:17 PM »
  I would think if the blank was blown moulded it would most likely be a piece mould and there may be some evidence of a mould mark.
I must say, I never seen or heard of an early blown moulded decanter with cutting and engraving. Doesn't mean it was not done. It looks like it could be a early one.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2022, 10:10:49 PM »
I have a vague recollection that it's suggested that applied rings should show indication of where the ring was started and finished - not that I've looked yet, but will make the effort to do so.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 01:16:11 PM »
    Not always as obvious as pictured here. The "folds"  are really just a slight cooling of the glass from start to finish of the applied ring I believe. Cannot be felt on the surface, but you may see evidence at this juncture that the ring was applied by looking up or down at the ring as it lays against the body of the decanter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand