No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique Perfume bottle (I think)..but how old and from where ?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
I assume this tiny handmade bottle is for perfume. But has anyone any thoughts on age and where it was made? It measures just over 3.5 inches long.
Thanks
Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Antique Perfume bottle (I think)..but how old and from where ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 05:31:16 PM »
Interesting piece !not something I’ve come across before,has the glass got bubbles and bits in it ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 05:45:07 PM »
I'm being cautious because I really don't know, but the design, pincering etc on the bottle and the glass make me think it's quite an old piece and possibly designed for holding drops of religious water or something like that on shrine visits or something.

m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 05:49:59 PM »
I wonder if it's for smelling salts rather than perfume?  It looks like it should have had a top to keep the salts in, perhaps like this one... https://www.antique-gown.com/en/showcases-objects/smelling-salts-bottle,-silver,-ca-1820-1830.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 06:01:40 PM »
No bubbles that I can see and it was difficult to tell if the black specks are in the glass or inside the bottle, so I gave it a wash and they were mainly specks of dust. There does appear to be very minuscule bits when looked at with an eye glass, but not noticeable otherwise.
Those are both interesting suggestions.  No sign of it having a top as such, Anne, so I imagine a cork stopper, but that could have had a decorative metal finial. If it were for religious water then a simple cork could have been sealed with wax, but certainly no signs of any fitting on the outside of the neck that would have come from a metal top as in Anne's example.
Ian

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 08:01:21 PM »
Along similar lines, was it not the case a very  ;)  long time ago, that when the rich were out and about, they held scented posies and nosegays to help disguise the stench of sewage and other people in the streets? Would this be a vessel for such a perfume?
Small enough for the hand, and discrete. Small enough to bury in with some flowers which did not have enough scent on their own?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 03:54:10 AM »
  Smelling bottles, scent bottles, or pungents  as they were sometimes termed very popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. They seem to cover all the the decorating techniques and types of glass. Generally a bottle such as yours would be dated late 18th or early 19th century and most likely English.

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »
Searching the net after the previous suggestions, the closest I’ve found is this one. It’s slightly larger at 4.8 inches tall. Described as a “C16th Facon de Venise glass bottle with applied Rigaree” Glass in the “fashion of Venice” but made in other European countries was popular.
2 photos of the same bottle it seems.
Ian

Mod: Copyright images removed. See them at https://www.barnebys.co.uk/auctions/lot/16th-c-facon-de-venise-glass-bottle-w-applied-rigaree-Oym3Nhldxp

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 04:50:32 PM »
That's what I had in mind exactly.  And probably exactly that bottle.  However having searched the collections and read up in my books, all the bottles seem to be squarer and larger than your little bottle. 
But it does remind me of those.  They seemed to have a little lid of wax with a string around the neck.

If they aren't your photographs the mod will need to remove them from the board though due to copyright  :)

Anyway, it's a very interesting piece.  A lovely find.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »
Then while those images are still here, I have looked carefully at the rigaree - it is much crisper, neater and tidier on the square bottle than it is on Ian's, I'm afraid.
Very similar items, but I would doubt the same manufacturer or even age.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand