No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano/Peter Layton vase?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Murano/Peter Layton vase?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »
Hi! Andy,  Thanks for your comments.  The vase was purchased from an Antique Fair. This does not mean in any way that this particular piece is old,however, I have checked the base thoroughly and there does not appear to be any consistency with the previous suggestions that it may be intentionally marked.  The base looks normal within common wear and tear.  I have other vases and bowls that are of age  and they too show similar markings.  I have as suggested sent information to a glass company that specializes in Peter Laytons Glass.  I have not had a reply as yet.   I would very much like to put a label on this particular piece. The top rim of the vase is curved and the thickness overall is approx. 2cm.  The vase looks cased.  As stated before, it is heavy and everyone I know who has seen the vase would like to be the owner of such a wonderful piece. Even though it is an excellent piece, it is not part of the collection I want to retain.  I am certainly pulling at straws now and want give up till I have found the answer.  Once again,  many thanks! :) for your comments and good luck with your search. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
 :-[

Sincere apologies, Otis and Andy, and any Czech master I may have offended. I'm afraid I haven't managed to catch up with all the new info. on Czech work - I'm way behind on all this stuff - and I'm not too bright at the moment.
In my head I was of the belief that many Beranek designs can be traced back to origins with Roubickova and Roubicek.
I happen to like Beranek a lot, though I do think the underlying designs in this particular piece are rather more complex.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
Hi! Sue,  No need to apologise.  We are all in the same boat and may make sudden judgements. I have just been on the site you have suggested and there were quite some interesting pieces though.  I just wish I could find some info. on this particular vase.  I have spent a lot of accumilative hours on this piece and still not got any further. :24: :24:

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
Hi! all,   Just to inform you, that I have contacted Peter Layton Via. email in order to obtain further info. and possible purchase of one the same..  Reply received today From:  Peter Layton (info AT londonglassblowing.co.uk)  
Sent: 20 January 2010 11:04:21 )The message received, request the original piece, were two copies would be duplicated and I would have the option of choosing one at a price between 4/5.   Peter Layton also states that this particular piece is not one of their designs, however, it is clear that they have shown an interest in this particular piece.  At present my main concern is to find the originator of this vase and I am sure having difficulty in stamping a label on it.   ::)  I am beginning to wonder if this is just a one off!  It is such a wonderful vase and it does not do it justice that no information can be obtained.  I am certainly pulling at straws now!!! :huh:  I would like to think that all the information I have provided regarding this vase is sufficient for identification.   Mmmmmmmmmm!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »
Sometimes it is years before we find an ID. The world is full of thousands of different pieces of glass...

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 12:00:01 PM »
I am beginning to wonder if this is just a one off!  It is such a wonderful vase and it does not do it justice that no information can be obtained.

I have dozens of unknown mysteries on my shelves - I'm happy to wait until more info surfaces - I don't think it's at all sensible to presume that because no information has so far been forthcoming that the piece is a one-off, rare or unusual item.  Probably best, if you can, to put it on a shelf and sit tight - as Christine has already said, it can take years to identify some glass.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
... and buying some books is one way to do this.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
I might just do that!  On the other hand...................there has been a lot of interest shown so have to consider my options, as it is not part of my personal collections.  It is without question a beautiful vase and it is ashame that I am unable to obtain any more info.   Even one similar with that sort of design on the base would help.  I will have to sleep on this one :sick: Not feeling to good at the moment  ::)  

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
Hi all,  if there are any positive leads to the originator of this vase, can you please let me know.  Many thanks in anticipation  :thup:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:57 AM »
I would try and eliminate East Europe first. Romania, Poland etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand