No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase + stripes and bubbles - possible Chribska Hospodka question  (Read 1931 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi, I have a few days grace (no younger child ;D) so thought I'd do some more researching on odd bits I have with no attribution, but unfortunately also no camera as it's gone on hols with him and oh.

So, my question is:
I have a large heavy vase with vertical stripes which are 'sommerso' and made entirely of minute frothy bubbles.  The vase has three layers, a cranberry pink interior then this very definite layer of vertical stripes of tiny bubbles (the layers can be seen clearly near the base) then the entire thing is cased in a thick clear casing.
Plain polished flat base.
Any ideas on where I might go to search for designer/maker would be hugely appreciated as I am all out of where to look next.  Many thanks.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Question please - no pics - stripes and bubbles
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
pondering some and trying to think how this would have been made  :-\ and wondering if it could be a studio vase?

The vase is 29cm tall, 9cm wide and the walls of the vase I estimate are about 10mm thick.  Fire polished rim.

So thinking on this -  if the inner layer is blown as pink, I could understand how a vase could have that then a controlled bubbles layer, or even a vase with pink inner and then a middle layer of completely clear pulegoso perhaps and then cased in clear, and how it might have been made.  But this has the pink  then has a layer of vertical stripes (estimated about 40 in total, a sort of 'pinstripe' effect) each stripe made of millions of minute bubbles so they actually look like white stripes from a distance but they aren't iykwim?  Then all cased in clear.  So what I don't understand is how you could have a complete layer of stripes alternating plain and frothy bubbles.  How could that be done? Would it be made with alternating canes somehow in order to produce the controlled stripes effect?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »
No amount of description will replace a photo. You lost me in the first sentence...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
'No amount of description will replace a photo. You lost me in the first sentence...'

you're right ;D 
It's VERY irritating not being able to post a picture. >:D
 I'll let you know if I solve it before they come back.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:49:24 PM »
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/315973

The layered effect is very similar visually to this one, except mine doesn't appear to have such a thick clear casing up the sides as this one, and the bubbles on mine are not controlled individual ones like this.  But at the base, you can see the internal layer of coloured glass, then the middle suspended layer of bubble effect showing below it like this one,  then the clear. The effect on mine is vertical stripes up the vase made up of frothy tiny bubbles rather than controlled bubbles.
Not sure if that is any more clear :ooh:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Question please - no pics - stripes and bubbles Pictures added
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
pics now added.

Any ideas on key words to search for would be hugely appreciated.  Many thanks.  The vase is the same pink all the way through, any colour variations are from my photos not the vase.  It is also proportioned well so any wonkiness is again my photos.  oh and the stripes appear to be longer stretched bubbles with lots of smaller bubbles and silver tiny tiny inclusions as well (like salt grains ish)
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:29 PM »
Skrdlovice?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »
more pics

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
Would adding "tiny gritty bits" to one layer not cause the tiny bubbles to form in the outer casing????

Person of more glassmaking knowledge than me required! :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
Thanks Ivo and Sue.  I have been searching and researching trying to figure out how it may be made.  On looking at it, there is a pink inner layer, then a layer that has the stripes of inclusions and bubbles, then a further outer layer of thick clear casing.  They appear to be three separate layers from looking at the side view where you can see the 'layer' of stripes appearing below the pink inner, and,  on looking at it, I do think it is separate layers.  That isn't an illusion.  I was wondering how you might blow a layer of stripes on top of a solid layer of pink?   was a clear layer blown over the pink layer, then somehow the ridges were made int that clear layer by a mould or something  :-\  then as the outer clear layer was put on over that, those ridges appeared as stripes being made by air bubbles and appear as internally decorated?  But how would you get the inclusions in there?  Sue I agree, I was thinking the addition of the inclusions could have caused the bubbles to appear but then I was fascinated to know how you would get inclusions to go on in stripes?   :spls:
It definitely looks to me to be a similar technique in one way, to the Gunnel Nyman vase I linked to.  Those have been described as ariel technique but from my searching I wasn't entirely sure if they really were?  are they?  BTW I'm not saying this one is, just trying to learn a bit more.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand