No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old and old-fashioned cut crystal vase  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Old and old-fashioned cut crystal vase
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »
Oh Anik!  :hug: :hug: No-one will think the worse of you...You really have to stop being so hard on yourself! These crystal vases are incredibly confusing when they're not marked.

I was surprised that this one was old though because of that shallow-etched star, which I associate with the more modern crystal sold under the label Bohemia Crystal. The feature tends to be much shallower than the true cuts, and also have a slightly frosted look. It seems to be a slightly cheaper automated way of adding detail? But do the modern Polish makers use the same trick?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:35:03 PM »
If you really insisted, we probably could make it vanish...  :nogos: but I still would like to ask the question about the etching...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
Cathy, thank you for the kind words  :kissy:.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question, so please do be patient with me...  Modern Polish cut crystal (at least the pieces I've handled) do have slight differences in length, width and depth of cut.  Deep cuts (which I believe are handmade as they are not uniform within a set) are clear while the shallow cuts used for small details are always frosted and with a very 'freehand' appearance. 

I think the thing which threw me off with this vase is, first of all, the design.  It does look old-fashioned, and it is not what I've ever seen in Polish production.  I think my imagination, combined with my fascination with the 'ring' it gives off, blinded me to any other aspect.  I obviously overlooked the quality of the cuts.  (I did, however, notice that the top matt part was machine cut while the bottom clear part was cut by hand -- the crosses are uneven and vary in sizes.) 

Ahhh...  it's alright...  you live and learn.

Now, about that hole...   ;)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 07:35:04 AM »
Typical Bohemian cut had been invented in 1929 by Mr. Prostrednik and is known as pattern PK 500.
Since that time up to now is reproduced and used with slight modifications.

Just after the velvet revolution in 1989 many manufacturers and cutters focused to this typical Bohemian cut and shops in country were overloaded with this type of crystal. Do not panik Anik, yours one from 90ties is ot worse than the pieces I have in my case surely produced in 50ties.

But I would like to focus you to different style of crystal cut.
Designers like:

Josef Pravec
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/JosefPravecGlasrevue?authkey=Gv1sRgCKrop7yQ6Yv6HQ#

Vladimir Zahour
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/VladimirZahourDomov19815?authkey=Gv1sRgCJf9gPyC0enIvAE#

Jiri Repasek
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/JiriRepasekGlasrevue197083?authkey=Gv1sRgCPm-wsD-__3ZhgE#

Ladislav Oliva
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/LadislavOlivaGlasrevue?authkey=Gv1sRgCJuM1aGKh9ytzAE#

Josef Svarc
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/JosefSvarcGlasrevue?authkey=Gv1sRgCMHfoczBuK2D7QE#

had spent their lifes in searching new form of cutting leaded crystal in Podebrady and some of their designs were really brilliant.

Seems to me, that demands of marketing people and sales from Glassexport did focus them to rather traditional "bohemian cut" using PK 500 pattern or floral decoration and the space for experimenting was for these designers very limited. Anyway, some great, very fresh and modern pieces had been created and are very colectable in nowadays.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
Jindrich, thank you so much for the links...  I most like Repasek's, Oliva's and Svarc's designs.  They are absolutely beautiful!  One day, I will have at least one of their vases in my collection.   :)  I will, I will, I will...

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:29:58 AM »
Eek!   ;D

Thank you, once again, Anik, for such an entertaining thread.  :hiclp:  ;D   Don't you ever delete this!
It is especially now after Jindrich's additions to the field of cut crystal utterly interesting and mind broadening:

I have to tell you that since I am not at all interested in "old-fashioned cut crystal" I did not read this thread at all but now that I was thinking why on earth it gets so long...!?  ;D Really, now I would also like to find some of the beautiful more modern examples.

And I think it was very useful for us possible future Prague tourists to think of the crystal spread in that area - expensive for tourists but found all over in every home...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand