No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date cane with an I in the middle?  (Read 10316 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
date cane with an I in the middle?
« on: February 11, 2006, 01:40:34 PM »
I am thinking of bidding for a faceted ( 5 puntys to the sides, one on the top) millefiore weight with a date cane for 1974 with an I in it, the base has a slightly concave raised disc in the centre, with curved outer edges, rather like a Monart vase if that makes sense?  

Is this likely to be a Monart paperweight?  It is in a group of Strathearn weights, so I guess it might be another Scottish one?

thanks for any help
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »
Hi Lynne,
It sounds like a Whitefriars weight date cane, the i in the middle is supposed to represent a friar, white friars was bought in 1982 by Caithness glass who continue the name with a range of Whitefriars paperweights, mainly lampwork  flowers using the whitefriars date cane.
Best of luck with the bidding :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »
Thanks so much Riki, I have the Charlton Caithness book, so hopefully the Whitefriars will be in there and I can check them out.  I didn't realise the backs on them were so lumpy!
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 08:58:03 PM »
Lynne, I fear I may have slightly misadvised you, your description of a lumpty base with pontil sounds very like a "fake" Whitefriars,  sorry :(
 I have a "funny" one with a date cane for 1984 which sounds very similar.
 It has a pontil which extends below the base and causes it to sit lopsided, the actual millefiore also has a kick upwards at one side.
 It is in a box but I will try to find it and post photos of it tonight.

Offline mjr

• Members
Whiterfriar
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 09:28:36 PM »
The base that you describe is standard Whitefriars. They are made with the central base part containing the colour and the canes being covered with the main glass gather and treated in such a way that on the base they seem like two distinct bits - a central piece with a bulging outer rim. Plus the pontil is then ground out leaving a one inch wide round dish in the centre. The 1974 date indicates pre Caithness. It will not be in Charltons guide as they only cover the Caithness period.

See sweetbriars http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/weightlist.php?maker=Whitefriars or Bob Halls http://www.bobhallpaperweights.com/paperweights.html?cat=2 sites for samples - they both have 5 & 1 facetted concentrics to compare
Martin

Offline mjr

• Members
Whitefriars
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 09:45:40 PM »
Martin

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 09:48:04 PM »
Hi again Lynne,
Here is a photo of a real Whitefriars date cane, notice that it is crisp and clear

http://i1.tinypic.com/nmdow7.jpg
 and a photo of a real base,

http://i1.tinypic.com/nmds0y.jpg

This is the dubious one note that the date cane is fuzzy and not so well made

http://i1.tinypic.com/nmdt13.jpg
 http://i1.tinypic.com/nmdtfa.jpg

and this is the base

http://i1.tinypic.com/nmdv9w.jpg

Ain't paperweights fun :twisted:
I hope you can manage to squeeze some help from this. :wink:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »
First I heard of fake Whitefriars weights, not surprised but do tell more.

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:57:15 PM »
I am possibly be overstating the facts, it came along with a small lot of weights bought at auction and I know nothing of its history,it may have been a trial,appretice or perhaps a backdoor piece when the canes etc transered to Caithness but it is not of great quality,and not at all what you would expect from a Whitefriars weight. :?

I did see an identical one on Ebay around a year ago and was tempted to bid    
so there is more than one out there, it's interesting to have but one of these is probably enough in any collection.

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
Hi,
   This is the first time I have seen a fake Whitefriar as well.When I joined Caithness after Jay Glass went bust Colin Terris told me that they had not done anything with the Whitefriars name since they bought it.I certainly do not remember seeing any samples around the glasshouse.The date cane is so bad that I seriously doubt if it was made at Caithness;we took great care to follow the style of the original cane designs,Colin insisted on it.
   On the subject of bases,the original Whitefriars were made by making the base then picking up the millefiori then forming that into a button of glass onto which a gather of crystal would be dropped from a helper.The maker would then shape the crystal into the finished paperweight,this would leave the tell-tale ridge underneath the weight between the base and top crystal.I recently had the pleasure of watching Ray Annenberg do this at Perth for us.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand