No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three suspected Italian pieces, can anyone help name them?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Three suspected Italian pieces, can anyone help name them?
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
Hi All, how's it going over this way?

I thought I'd drop by and see if anyone could help me with these three items that I suspect are Italian. The glasses... maybe not, but they seem a little better than generic Chinese knock offs and they each have a pontil on the base. They measure 4 3/4" tall and 3 5/8" diameter at the top. They are thin crystal speckled with gold foil.

The Christmas tree I just LOVE! I found two of them which made my day. Made of heavy crystal with 4 lobes on the corners, a core speckled with gold aventurine and a ball like foot which is ground and polished on the base they measure just shy of 8" tall and about 2 1/2" square at the widest point.

Lastly there is a Latticino bell. I know a fair bit about latticino from the books but thought I'd throw it in here in case anyone was aware of an exact maker on that one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Three suspected Italian pieces, can anyone help name them?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:38 AM »
Hard to know where the first two were made. I've even seen American studios produce similar glasses.  

The last piece is Murano as you say. However, it isn't latticino but zanfirico. I know Pina used the term latticino and it's widely used on eBay and here, but it's not a term you'll find in any of the good Murano books. I'd say even if you were to find a similar piece with a label you wouldn't be able to say who made it as virtually every Murano factory produced zanfirico like this. They're very pretty but very difficult to attribute.  

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:09 AM »
regret I'm unable to help specifically with your pieces as I know nothing of Murano material  -  but out of interest thought you might like to see some similar 'cocktail' glasses that I found recently, together with people's comments at the time.   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40326.msg223246.html#msg223246      Can't see too clearly - and you don't say - but it looks as though your glasses have folded feet - albeit rather narrow.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
I believe the two glasses are Venetian/Murano around 1900 i have two in green at the moment and have had them in red they are in several of my Italian glass books , i will get the books  out later for the maker probably Salviati or Compagnie Venice & Murano .

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
Thank you all for the input.

Yes, I hadn't noticed that, the rim of the feet on the glasses fold underneath.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
I have found what looks like them in an exhibition catalogue it says maker unknown c1880/1900 .

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
Thankyou.

Would the exhibition catalog be from that time frame? Or something later.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:25:22 AM »
Well spotted both jp and Paul S. I never noticed the folded over foot on the glasses and I was way off the mark saying the glasses could have been made anywhere. Sorry!

Is this a fairly common shape for Murano glasses as it's not one I'd expect, although my knowledge of Murano glasses is minimal (and even less than I previously thought)?  I'd be interested to hear details from jp's catalogue.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 03:03:19 AM »
A little something on the bell -- I found one of this design on the new DVD from the West Virginia museum. It is in the KB (Koscherak Brothers) catalog for 1969. This doesn't say anything about who made it, only that KB imported this design into the US during that year. It may help to know that it is sitting among animals and other pieces that have the same zanfirico & cane patterns, and that I know are Fratelli Toso designs.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »
Thanks Anita! Every bit of info helps :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand