No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 17th century nipt diamond shaft and globe decanter  (Read 10762 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 17th century nipt diamond shaft and globe decanter
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Congratulations Peter - marvelous piece :)

I have, in the past few days, had conversations with the glass and ceramics department at the V. & A., requesting their permission to use digital pictures, from their gallery, on the Glass Message Board  -  in a similar way that the National Archives have agreed we may use watermarked images from Kew.           The reason being that with this thread in mind, I thought it a great shame that the public (the GMB in particular) didn't have access to on line images of their glass - which would have included an amethyst coloured Ravenscroft NDW decanter  -  which some of us have seen in their gallery exhibition.     This exhibit may, or may not, have assisted this topic but would nonetheless have been an interesting comparison and is a great piece to see in any event (for those unable to reach the gallery in person).       I have explained, in an email, the various reasons why we consider that glass collectors feel they are under-represented in terms of access to images (compared for example to the ceramics collectors), and have outlined briefly our agreement, with the trustees at Kew, to use watermarked images within the public domain.
Whether this request will be successful or not, I really don't know  -  but will keep fingers crossed for a positive outcome. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »
THat!!!  is very nice,lovely little thing .

cheers ,
            Peter.

ps  great idea Paul , I hope someone with a brain reads the email .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline freeblown

• Members
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
Hi Peter and Paul,

I picked up another nipt diamond bottle and thought you would enjoy seeing it. it is much larger that the other pocket bottle, I would say it is about a full quart. It has had a pewter top plastered onto it at some point. I can see the neck from the inside and it looks all there for it goes right up to the top of the inside of the pewter piece. Would you leave this top on or take it off?

Robert

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac60/dusty999/IMG_07862.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac60/dusty999/IMG_07872.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac60/dusty999/IMG_07882.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac60/dusty999/IMG_07912.jpg

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »
HI ,
          Lovely bottle , to remove or not is always a hard call,if you are certain that everything is sound then I would but sometimes you can open a can of worms, a visit to a friendly local dentist for an x-ray would help you decide .
cheers ,
           Peter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »
thanks for sharing Robert - very desirable piece - I'm Mr. Green. :)       My personal opinion would be to leave the top in situ - if nothing else it will show the full history of the piece - the glass and metalwork - and it adds interest - it can always be removed at a later date after you have weighed the thought more carefully, and come to a more definite decision.         As Peter says, removal might incur problems.

Pleased to say that after some email discussions with the V. & A., they have agreed that we may use images of their glass gallery exhibits on the GMB  -  provided these are watermarked in a similar fashion to how we show the National Archive pictures.

Later today I will attach some pix of the amethyst NDW decanter/bottle which I photographed recently, at the V. & A. and which you may find of interest. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »
Pix attached of the V. & A. example of the Ravenscroft 'Nipt diamond Waies' amethyst bottle dated c. 1680.    Hope of some interest, and of course a fabulous piece of glass.       It goes without saying that pictures taken through the cabinet glass.
With grateful thanks to Roxanne Peters and Reino Liefkes at the V. & A. London for their permission and assistance in using these images. :)

Offline freeblown

• Members
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
Thank you Peter and Paul for your advice. I think for now I am just going to leave it as is. I'm not sure what an xray would do. Could it even look through pewter?

Rob

Offline freeblown

• Members
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Nice pictures Paul! Thanks for sharing them. That decanter even has the inside gather pattern molded with vertical ribbing! Wow!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:16 PM »
I don't know anything about old bottles,but I live in hope of finding one of these - I think they're beautiful.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »
antique pewter did apparently contain some lead, so don't know if this would give problems with the x-ray suggestion?

I think the colour makes this all the more desirable, and if you do live long enough to find one m, please give me first refusal ;).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand