No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 19th C. Blue Vase / Pot?  (Read 673 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
19th C. Blue Vase / Pot?
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts about this piece, please?

Standing roughly 12cm tall, it is deep blue and a slightly unusual shape, which is a little top heavy. It has symmetrical hand enamelling in white and pale green with gilding over the green. The base does have wear. I thought that it might originally have had a lid or cover but there's no sign of wear around the inside or outside of the rim which, incidentally, is a little wonky. It just looks a slightly odd and unwieldy shape for a vase but I'm happy to be corrected!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: 19th C. Blue Vase / Pot?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 02:23:53 AM »
it is an unusual vase indeed. the enameling looks a little amateurish and I am reluctant to date it to the 19th C. I am thinking early 20th to perhaps mid - but I am by no means betting any money on it. It could be studio piece which may explain the lack of markings. On the other hand, the absence of marks could be used as evidence for the earlier dating which you favor. The harshness of the rim leads me to the later dating. Yet, I have seen Bristol glass with harsh rims.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand