No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Is it possible to have a missing glass handle made for this vase ?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 02:40:33 PM »
Hi ,
        As I said in my post above , ceramics restorers will take a mould from the intact handle ,make a resin copy in the same colour and then attach it to the damaged part,the results I have seen with others in the past are most acceptable and most people would not be able to tell visually that it had been done , any attempts to produce a glass handle replacement is I am afraid  probably a non starter.

cheers ,
                Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
I think I would go with your suggestion Peter.

This is a masterpiece of beautiful glass, the likes of which we see so much less of these days, when swirls of colours and 'happenstance' patterning are de rigueur, and the careful placement of decoraton is seen so much less frequently in modern pieces. 

This is well worth restoring the balance of the piece without the risk of destroying it or altering it to look like something that was never intended.

Whether you restore it or not BB, it is a treasure to own, who ever made it.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
I believe a matching piece could be made in glass but would probably need to be joined with the magic glass glue , I bet Basil could do it , but not cheap for a one off .

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
 ;D I will take that bet ;D ,   

cheers ,
               Peter.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Why Peter , does he not make replacement pieces for many glassies . ???  ;) I had a penguin with the beak missing a friend of mine purchased it and it was reheated and the beak was pulled out the guy who made it originally said you cant see the difference . miracles do happen now and again .

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
  Basil  himself does not make replacement parts this is out sourced , but yes he then uses those parts for restorations but mostly in clear glass , the colour would be very difficult to match and you would have to make a batch of glass , very very expensive,the part would most likely have to be free formed , ie not in a mould and the result could be very hit and miss , too many possibilities for the replacement to look pretty dreadful I think ,the area around the remains of the original handle would also have to be prepared to receive the replacement part , ie bits ground off to give a flat gluing surface,
 I just see lots of problems and huge cost for the attempts , so I can only say again, what i have seen done to glass items with replacement resin parts has always looked very good.

cheers,
    Peter.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »
[quote  I had a penguin with the beak missing a friend of mine purchased it and it was reheated and the beak was pulled out the guy who made it originally said you cant see the difference . miracles do happen now and again .
[/quote]

Yep I can see how that would work very well , however the techniques involved are completely different.

cheers ,
         Peter

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
So Peter its not impossible just very expensive and difficult , for a man with your money and patience that would be   a doddle , see you at Brum to collect my winnings . :D ;)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
 ;D  Basil will be there(Foyer Exhibition) http://www.glassfairs.co.uk/exhibition.html, in his capacity as a collector , not really with his restorers hat on but if he says that an acceptable glass repair is possible in preference to a good resin repair then the buns are on me, :'(

Cheers,
              Peter.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
LOL  :D

John , we met at Cambridge once , you were propping-up the bar (as per-usual   ;) ) , I was with Tony and you were looking at my marriage of an inkwell (rather disparagingly  :-[ ).......does Basil do mates of a mate rates...mate  ;D ?
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand