No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opinions please - is this a crack?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Opinions please - is this a crack?
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »
Wow, that is really useful info.....in future, I will ask for them not to be used......especially if the item is being posted from abroad....thanks for that one John.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
Hi ,
       A very good friend of mine , a prominent dealer in antique glass in Amsterdam,told me of a recent and worrying incident regarding bubble wrap , they had for years like us all used bubble wrap to wrap glass for sending abroad , recently 2 very expensive glasses each double boxed  arrived at there destination with the bowls completely smashed , no damage to the boxes , investigations with the relevent people revealed that bubble wrap when in the low pressure hold will expand the bubbles till they pop , if the glass is in contact then basically it will be crushed ,obviously the more delicate the glass the easier this will happen , a very expensive lesson for them and a warning to us all.

Cheers ,
               Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
If the bubble wrap had been looser, perhaps that wouldn't have happened?

I fret a bit when something arrives with loads of bubble wrap  - all tightly bound in a straightjacket of tape - there's no protection for the glass inside that.
(but I don't tend to buy from overseas.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand