No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opaline (?) white, enamelled, gilded, goblet/vase with lettering  (Read 4243 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Opaline (?) white, enamelled, gilded, goblet/vase with lettering
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 08:52:55 PM »
I was just surprised that water could actually cause such damage to glass, as I haven't seen that before.  I suspect it might be because of the type of glass - maybe it's softer or more porous.

I have found the closest match so far but, frustratingly, I can't enlarge the picture on the site.  As far as I can tell, the green one on the right has a lot of the same features.

http://bav.hu/aukcio-tetel/cimeres-emlekpohar

Anyone know what the text says about it?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 09:03:38 PM »
It just describes the red on being sold - the one in the middle.  Late 19th.

Yes the uranium one on the right is similar in shape to yours.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
The translated text reads:-
Description: Coat-of-arms commemorative glass Blown colorless glass brushed on twelve sheets. The crowned Hungarian coat of arms is covered with laurel on copper-ruby with colored enamel painting and gilding between laurel branches. On the back, under the flowers and a cornucopia under the ribbon, "Remember" inscribed with pasty paint. Small wear on the surface. Czech, XIX. s. end. M: 14 cm

(my pc came up with a box asking if translation was needed.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Thank you both for all your help.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
Thought it might be useful to add this link for 13 pages on Hungarian glass.  I've only opened it on the iPad so far, so not attempted to translate anything yet.  Really lovely pictures and lots of them.

https://docplayer.org/21478290-Regi-magyar-ueveg-geschichte-des-ungarischen-glases.html

Could the title of this thread be updated to "Hungarian hand painted and gilded alabaster EMLÉKÜL Goblet c.1850", to make it more helpful to others?

I read about glass being made in Bohemia and decorated in Hungary....... Is it best described as Hungarian, or bohemian, or both?
Cat 😺

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »
I've been wondering about Parad (Hungarian) but it's so difficult to find sources and information.
Maybe leave it here for the mo until a better match for the shape is found?
For example Parad  is questioned for those white opaline candle sticks in that link you just gave.

It's detail but for some reason I would think it's more 1860 than 1850- I know - minor detail but ...
And there is a similar shaped becher on that link as well with the glasperlen on it that also dates to 1860.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »
I'm not overly secure on this, but I do think there is a good chance it could be Hungarian glass not Bohemian.
The only places I know the names of and nothing about are  Parád and is it maybe Zlatno (?)
I cannot find a match on the opaline glass, but the shape is good for similarities.  There is something curious about the stems and feet of Hungarian glass, or rather, not curious, hard to explain, but they just 'look' different to Bohemian glass bechers and stems/feet somehow.  Slightly curvier, thicker, clunkier. Slightly more rustic looking by comparison, both in terms of decor and style.

Wish someone on here with more knowledge in this area would pop up.  It's a country of glass that is not well known and publicised really - well I mean especially 19th and earlier centuries.
I have some resources but nothing in there matches yours except to say I think it could be by the shape of it.
I wouldn't move it to Bohemian just yet.

Ooh, there is more info here on the Prisma Gallery site but I guess you might have found this:
https://prisma-gallery.com/index.php/articles/13-article-02

It doesn't show some all of the pieces I 've seen photos of though.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand