No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Striped Blown Glass Vase Identification needed Please  (Read 5396 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Striped Blown Glass Vase Identification needed Please
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 11:39:11 PM »
I’ve had to use a slight magnification, but I would say the photo in the book has the same blue stripes with a darker boarder just like yxeli’s example, then the clear gap before the white. It doesn't look to me as though it’s a shadow or optical effect. Easiest to see in the middle of the bottle and left side of the stopper where the light is direct. It is difficult to see though. Couldn’t comment on shape.

I honestly think that without them together in person it's too hard to tell.  The one in the Clichy book I think has darker edges to the blue stripe cane.
I see what you mean about the Neuwelt book one about the slightly darker edging on the cane ( I think I see what you mean)  but to me it looks as though there are clear stripes between each blue and white cane and on the one in the Clichy book I don't think there are clear stripes showing between each cane ... but they might be!  I'm just trying to imagine how you might get darker edges to the blue canes ... but looking at some other pieces in the Clichy book on the same page, they seem to show turquoise blue canes with dark blue edging to them and I don't think that's a shadow or anything.  That said, those pieces do have clear glass showing between the turquoise with dark blue edging stripe and the white stripe! Difficult.

It's impossible to compare absolutely in detail unless OP can upload clearer photos and in larger format so the detail of her vase can be seen more clearly.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Yxeli

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Ireland
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 11:49:37 PM »
Hi All!

I'm sorry that I cant get a bigger pic just now as I'm travelling, but what I can say is that the vase has clear glass stripes along with the blue and white. The blue gets darker towards the edges. :)

This discussion is quite academic and as I havent got a clue, I shall leave it in your capable hands and shall supply more pics as requested when I get the chance! ;)

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 12:13:22 AM »
Why is the 1851 Exhibition of interest to you if as you say dates are significant to a person interested only up to 1850?

We were talking about filigree vases be they Clichy or St. Louis  and you choose to present without any qualification an item of a different and earlier period as an example.

Comparing apples with pears me thinks.

Because photography wasn't available at that time, and pattern books are hard to come by or in some cases, non existent.  And fortunately, during that period of the  Great Exhibition and leading up to it, the Arts Journal was writing long pieces and descriptions of some of the glass to be displayed or being made, as well as showing engravings of some pieces.
Also in the illustrated catalogues of the exhibition there were a number of engravings of the glass on show. Some of those pieces were made in Bohemia prior to 1851.  Of course there are descriptions of items of British manufacture shown in the Birmingham Exhibition in 1849 and also lists of British glass manufacturers items submitted for the 1850 Competition of the Society.  But without a picture they are in many ways meaningless  e.g. 'Butter and cover in Oriental green glass' anyone? .. . I mean that could be anything frankly.  So the Great Exhibition was a good place to see engraving pictures of the pieces on display.  Pieces that were being made up to 1851 which covers the period I'm most interested in as well.  There was a difference in style and fashion by 1860.
And whilst of course, manufacturers I'm sure continued to make glass in the same old same old style all over the world- the best sellers I presume -  there were also distinct changes in glass over the period between 1850 and 1890.

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 12:19:31 AM »
These precise dates and actual company name are really all a little pedantic. Clichy in the context we are talking about is glass made in France by a company originally called Clichy between the dates of around 1850 and 1900. If it were 1849 would it matter and if so, is it January 1849 or September 1849 and if either was it the 14th of the month or the 28th of the month. Do you get my drift?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 12:22:41 AM »
I don't need to get your drift.   ;D

Do you have any primary reference source to back up your assertion that this piece is '100% Clichy'?

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 12:37:02 AM »
Wow! So what are the distinct differences between glass of 1850 and 1860. Please enlighten me.

Also, when you mention the French heyday, you are I assume, referring to the Art Nouveau period of French glass such as Galle, Daum, Lalique and others of the period. This was and is now accepted as the top of French, (European), glass design but in terms of hand blown quality glass not the heyday.

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 12:40:38 AM »
Do you have any primary reference source to back up your assertion that this piece is '100% Clichy'?

No, just experience. Do you have any primary reference to show this is not Clichy and if not, by whom?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 12:43:17 AM »
I amended my post as I was halfway through typing a longer reply and decided not to -  but you have replied to what I originally wrote as part of a text.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 12:46:38 AM »

No, just experience. Do you have any primary reference to show this is not Clichy and if not, by whom?

And that is where we part company probably :)

I like to try and identify glass correctly.  Admittedly I'm prone to gut instinct and wanting something to be by a particular maker - can't help myself :) ... but even I know that my 'opinion' or experience for what it's worth, is not what is required to correctly identify a glass maker.  It can be a good guide to a first place to start investigating or researching. But it's not a good guide for identifying something as definitely by a particular maker.

Offline English weather

• Members
    • England
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 12:55:19 AM »
Is this any better?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia