No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112754 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2006, 11:35:11 AM »
New additions to the site are:

1. A Blue Lace pattern.
http://www.encill.abelalways.co.uk/chanceglass/photos/fiesta_pattern/lace-blue1.jpg

2. Carnation pattern (Fiesta Glass)
http://www.encill.abelalways.co.uk/chanceglass/photos/flora_pattern/carnation.jpg

This dish also came in a new box style that's also been listed. There's also an improved Gold Swirl photo on the 'Graphic' page as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2006, 10:49:42 PM »
David I've been meaning to tell you for ages I've got a set of a Chance bowl/dish and 4 (I think - can't remember offhand) smaller matching dishes.  The pattern is very hard to describe (and I don't yet have any photographs) but it is printed in an orange colour on one side and yellow on the other - this gives a kind of 3D effect - it's a very simple stylised pattern of dashes ..... I'm sure you have these already but if not let me know and I'll dig them out and photograph them for you.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2006, 10:52:56 PM »
Hi Pip,

Sounds like Golden Spray - does it look like a fireworks display??? 8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2006, 10:54:10 PM »
Yes that's a great description of the pattern David - I take it you've got it already then?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #304 on: April 24, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »
Quote from: "Pip"
Yes that's a great description of the pattern David - I take it you've got it already then?

Yup!

But I haven't seen a bowl and dish set, so that would be worth looking at.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #305 on: April 24, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
Great: thanks a lot!

The vast majority of Chance doesn't have that much value to be honest, but Night Sky, Ruby Swirl and other items of rarity can be real finds. The strange shapes are always desirable: Giraffe Carafe, powder bowl, preserve jar, and much of the drinkware. The Silhouette water jug is a real rarity and I have one :D

I recently picked up a Blue Lace plate for a mere £1.04 off eBay (thanks, Max!) so they can be found. The Trippy flowers are not bad sellers either!

Take a look at some of the pressed glass too.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #306 on: April 24, 2006, 11:34:18 PM »
Chance is undervalued in this country - probably because there's so much of it around and it can be picked up cheaply however my American customers, who obviously can't get hold of it other than on the net, value it highly.  I don't buy or sell the blousey flowery grannie Chance stuff (it's not my style and I like to restrict my shop items to things that compliment each other) so I tend to buy the slightly harder to get hold of more retro looking things - which do command reasonable prices.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #307 on: April 25, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
:D:D:D

I think I told David in an email something else about this oriental pattern, that may help with dating.

When I saw that dish in a charity shop, it struck me not only was it Chance, and a pattern we hadn't encountered so far here, but that I remember, way back in the (very) dark ages of 1977, I was given a set of this pattern as an engagement present. I hated it on sight. It was one of those things I shoved to the back of the cupboard, put things in front, then behaved a bit roughly with the items in front in the hope that everything at the back would all break. I do remember there was a deep round dish, probably about 8" diameter, nearly 2" deep. I did use it as a fruit bowl.
 :D I think I succeeded in smashing the rest of it quite quickly. :lol:  :oops:

See? I really didn't like the stuff even then!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #308 on: April 25, 2006, 09:16:45 AM »
:D  I think I succeeded in smashing the rest of it quite quickly. :lol:  :oops:

You heathen Sue! :lol:

You may well be right about the age: I simply can't place it anywhere, but it just 'feels' older than this to me. Certainly the sizes and shapes you quote all make me think I'm fairly certain it is by Chance as well. Edit: here it is again...

Anyway, I am having a meeting with Michael Joseph tomorrow and I think Tony Cartwright will be there as well. He was at Chance from about 1959 (Calypto year!) and finished as General Manager in 1981, before transferring over to Fiesta Glass. Hopefully he might recognise some/all of the patterns that are currently evading identification – I have a lot to take with me!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #309 on: April 25, 2006, 09:33:36 AM »
:D:D:D

I thought I'd better put the information here! The deep dish I used as a fruit bowl was exactly the same as the deep dishes we've found, so yes, the shapes are right. The year was definitely '77. The set might have been older - there's no telling that it wasn't an unwanted gift to the people that gave it to me in the first place. It came from his side of the "family". See? No taste! :twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand