No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112727 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »
Thanks Christine: these don't appear very often so it's nice to see confirmation. I'm wondering if there's also an Anemone one, as this was made in just about ever shape and size.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2006, 07:58:59 PM »
I think I've just found an example of a 12 X 9 rectangular in Mermaid Rose http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7411593825

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2006, 08:36:55 PM »
Yes, that is Mermaid Rose. I do already have an example but if you are thinking of buying, then I would point out it's not the most scintillating design... not made for terribly long period though, and there doesn't appear to be much around.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »
Anne (Womble) has found a Dahli patterned 'Teardrop' dish that's now shown in the Shapes > Dishes & Bowls section.

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen a smaller one? This measures 29 x 17 (11½" x 6¾") but I have a feeling there may be a smaller version of this shape.

Anyone seen this new topic I posted in the Cafe?
Who said Chance Glass wasn't collectable? :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #324 on: May 11, 2006, 10:25:47 PM »
Hi David & all

I think you probably know this piece, I have searched the threads and your site and can't find it - but I always miss things LOL

14cm x 14cm square glass dish, white enamel square to underside and gilt decoration to top - commemorating one thousand years of 'Unbroken Parliamentary Rule in The Isle of Mann' - 979 - 1979 (not difficult to date then LOL)

Box has star decoration and plastic top, no insert - glass edges are ground and unpolished (no gilding) picture three shows a slight mistake in the hand grinding process, the corner has not been rounded properly

all images copyright Adam Perkinton

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #325 on: May 11, 2006, 10:41:18 PM »
Hi Adam,

A very nice dish and what I refer to as 'mottoware' — but could be referred to as crestware I suppose.

Chance made thousands of different ones for a variety of commercial ventures and, as you can appreciate, it would be impossible to try and catalogue them all. But I am looking to list a few special ones and I already have a 1954 West Brom Cup Winners tray, 1972 Munich Olympics, Madame Tussards, for example.

If you want to send on a photo, but at a very slight angle, this will help minimise flash reflections, and I'll be glad to include it.

Now I've got my FTP problems sorted out (again...) I'll post a few finds from this week.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »
A few new finds!

Blue Greco sandwich set, complete with box:

Blue intaglio dish, 8¾" diameter and 2¼" deep (ooh, isn't it gorgeous!):

New Fiesta red & white rose floral pattern on a 2-tier cake tray. This make six Fiesta patterns that were original (not made by Chance):

The last floral pattern from the 'Summer' range, I believe (Type-4):

Any ideas on the flowers for these last two?

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one other floral pattern left to ID (but I've said that before  :wink: ) and that's from the 'Bouquet' range.

There's also Blue Lace, but I think I've mentioned that.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #327 on: May 12, 2006, 02:51:55 AM »
David, the top one (2-tier) looks like roses but it could be a red rose and a white poppy - it's not too easy to suss the white one from the pics.

The bottom one are autumn flowers/fruits... dahlias/chrysanthemums, michaelmas daisies and blackberries.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2006, 07:52:30 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
Chance made thousands of different ones for a variety of commercial ventures and, as you can appreciate, it would be impossible to try and catalogue them all.

I don't appreciate, the Internet is here :) worth trying and a better name is custom glassware. Custom comes across in many languages too.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "DenCill"
Chance made thousands of different ones for a variety of commercial ventures and, as you can appreciate, it would be impossible to try and catalogue them all.

I don't appreciate, the Internet is here :) worth trying and a better name is custom glassware. Custom comes across in many languages too.

If you're saying I should try and catalogue them all, then I'm not sure I have the time or effort to do this. The problem is; there are no records* of what was produced so it really would be impossible to catalogue them all (I wasn't using the term glibly!) These trays were produced from c.1953 (Royal Coronation) right until the mid-1990s and I think it would be a task-too-far — besides, is there sufficient interest to justify all this effort?

But if someone else wants to take on this task, I'll give them all the support they need.

I believe Chance called these trays 'Promotional', however to try and distinguish between the different types I started to use terms like 'Mottoware' & 'Crestware' (already used for pottery), and so on. I'm quite flexible though so am happy to listen to any advice. I think they do need categorising somehow.

* The best bet would be Pilkingtons, but they remain rather unco-operative and I have heard a rumour that their archives (of Chance) are not really "accessable"... I think I know the reason but would prefer not to say here.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand