No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112741 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #330 on: May 12, 2006, 09:01:10 AM »
Quote from: "Anne"
David, the top one (2-tier) looks like roses but it could be a red rose and a white poppy - it's not too easy to suss the white one from the pics.

Thanks. Here's a link to a higher res. image.
EDIT: Because the hole went slap-bang through the pattern, I have edited the photo to recreate it.

Quote from: "Anne"
The bottom one are autumn flowers/fruits... dahlias/chrysanthemums, michaelmas daisies and blackberries.

Hmm, they didn't do an 'Autumn' range :wink:

The pattern was made between 1970 and 1981 (Chance) and I don't have anywhere else this can go except 'Bouquet'. Rather strange to have fruits in a bouquet, but perhaps the term was used rather loosely?

The Bouquet 'pattern' was actually a collection of floral patterns that could be mixed and were used rather arbitarily, but there should be four distinct individual patterns.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #331 on: May 12, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »
Fabulous blue intaglio David :P   Would look great next to Emmi's intaglio.  Some crazy prices in your other topic thread :?
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #332 on: May 12, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
Fabulous blue intaglio David :P   Would look great next to Emmi's intaglio.  Some crazy prices in your other topic thread :?

The Blue intaglio looks far better in the flesh, so to speak, and the photo doesn't do it justice, but I hadn't thought about a display of two different types – yes, it would look good!
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2006, 08:57:26 PM »
Interesting find! :shock: I picked up a what I thought was one of the  non-Chance Swirl bowls today in a plain but labelled box hoping it would give us a clue to the Twist pattern. I've just looked at it properly!

It is a Swirl but the shape and the size are the same as the zig-zag bowl I posted at the top of page 29, i.e. alternate square and round flutes. And the box is just plain white card with a cut out open top (a bit like those Christmas decoration boxes but without the cellophane) and a small sticker with a stock-type code and a thistle and Ceramia Parties. I would say bowl and box belong together - they fit too well.

Anyone heard of Ceramia Parties?

Too late now for pics so it will have to wait till after my hols - Cornwall here we come

Offline Pkay

• Members
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2006, 01:22:29 AM »
Hi,  

Sorry if I've missed this one somewhere along the line, but I was just looking for the pattern name of this intaglio cut boat dish.  I can't find any mention of it on the Chance site or in this thread, unless I've missed it?

I thought it may be Cut Pearl, but it doesn't look the same to me.  I'm pretty certain it's Chance, and the dimensions are the same as those given for the boat dish on the site (6 x 4.5 x 1.75"), but I could be quite easily corrected.

I hope I get the pictures right, I've just registered on the Glass Gallery and think I've uploaded pictures to the wrong place! :oops:  :?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2047
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2046
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2045
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2044

Thanks,
Pete.
kay

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2006, 07:29:12 AM »
Hi Pkay,

No problem, you have uploaded them in the wrong section but not a big deal as we can view them here along with Frank's photos of the Amsterdam riots, which I hadn't seen before! Anyway, welcome to the GMB!

This one is a bit of an enigma. It does indeed look like Cut Pearl, but there are certain elements about the pattern that don't quite fit. In fact, a dish just like this has been placed on this board before, I think by Anne E.B., but she should be able to confirm this – perhaps you bought it from her?

It is one piece I would need to compare with other Chance intaglio, although even this might not be conclusive. However, if you start a new topic on the main forum to debate intaglio in general, someone might recognise it.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2006, 07:32:02 AM »
Just saw the last of this set in the Queries gallery:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2044

The cutting does look quite like Cut Pearl, although this isn't conclusive. Another point: what other manufacturer used a white flashing?
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
David - it is the one I submitted previously.  It was sold a couple of year's back :?  I remember it being a lovely quality piece.
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2006, 08:32:21 AM »
Thanks, Anne. Thought I'd got it right! :wink:

Hmm, I wonder if it's the same one? How long have you had this Pete, and where did you buy it?

"It's coming home, it's coming home..." :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Pkay

• Members
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »
Hi David & Anne E.B.,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately I can't even remember buying this piece, let alone where it came from.  I've been sorting through many boxes of glass just lately, which have been packed away for a year or so due to moving house.  I've found quite a few pieces that I don't remember buying, so I guess it's possible that it could be the same one sold by Anne E.B.

It certainly feels like a piece of Chance, and I've had other intaglio pieces in the past, but I can only compare them with this piece from memory at the moment, which obviously isn't brilliant seeing as I can't even remember buying it.   :?

To be honest, I was halfway through writing the auction description for the bowl, and only realised that it may be an unusual piece when I couldn't find a pattern name to put in the listing.

As for who else has used white flashing, I can't immediately think of any particular manufacturer at the moment.  
If you would like any more pictures just let me know, and I will ask in a new thread if anybody can shed any light on other possible makers in the meantime.

Anne,

Thanks for moving the pictures to the correct place, I'm sorry about that, I'm just a complete computer numpty I'm afraid!  :oops:   I suddenly found myself in the middle of a riot and knew something must have gone wrong somewhere.  :shock:  

Thanks for your help,
Pete.
kay

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand