No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns  (Read 112761 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
ChanceGlass.net : cataloguing Fiestaware patterns
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »
Thanks Sue. My only reservation is the tighter corners on the plate: I get the impression Chance introduced the plates with pronounced rounding to the corners c.1970. Again, this is one thing I need to find out! :roll:

TO ALL:
If there's any questions you'd like me to ask tomorrow, please let me know. I'll have a quick look at my mail before I go, so plenty of time. :)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2006, 02:02:05 PM »
I got all excited today and thought I'd found some Chance in a new pattern. BUT I think it's probably Sherdley as it was with what I have now decided is Sherdley Twist and they were "1960s Pilks" and a " wedding present". I'll post the pictures for info. Perhaps I should listen properly next time!

Unknown 8.5 inch fluted dish, probably Sherdley
Sherley twist oval platter 13 x 9 inches
Sherdley Twist plate 6.25 inches
Click to enlarge

And I took this thread to a new page :D

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2006, 02:53:03 PM »
Ooh, these are interesting, Christine. 8)

I also have a gilt-edged, octagonal plate, that I now think is Sherdley Twist, although I've yet to get firm confirmation. In fact I have very little information at all on Sherdley's operation.

My only hesitation is that the pattern looks very new, with virtually no wear, and the gilt is totally unworn. To me, it suggests something quite recent, but we all know how deceptive this is.

I showed the pattern to Tony Cartwright, former General manager at Chance, and he immediately discarded it as Chance. No hesitation.

But as this pattern is not often seen, it could be scarcer than Chance, so perhaps some form of intrinsic value?

I got all excited today and thought I'd found some Chance in a new pattern.

Oh, the times that's happened to me... if I had a pound for every one I'd seen... :roll: :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2006, 03:20:49 PM »
I'm pretty certain mine are late 1960s, I should have asked for a precise date. The lady wasn't a dealer and she had writtten Pilks Glass 1960s on a piece of paper with them. She then told me they were wedding presents. I would say she was about 10 years older than me, so that seems about right. I have two platters, two plates (the rest "got broken") and the bowl. All have very little wear. I did wonder whether they should have gilt edges as there were traces of gold on them, but I think it was gold paint from elsewhere because it was little odd bits all over and I can't see any real evidence of it on the rims even with a magnifying glass. Feel free to take the photos or if you want I'll try and get some without so much reflection.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »
:D:D:D

Christine's first fluted plate looks like the frilly bit is straight bits and pointy bits, like the filigranglas I've got. There are the same number of points - 8.

The other pattern looks a bit like a fractal/pixel of the spirograph pattern.

:evil: :( :? I'm still on the trail of the elusive Orlak.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #315 on: April 29, 2006, 03:52:51 PM »
Thanks for giving permission to use the photos, Christine – I've added the first to the 'Unidentified' page: click the main 'Fiestaware' page and you'll see a link there.

I have seen flaking gilt on some Chance plates, so it might not have been applied properly, I suppose. But it would be nice to clear up who made these odd patterns and include them on the site to avoid any confusion.

Sue, you may be right. I was looking at those flutes and certainly dating to the 1970s (or even later) would fit in. However, I did look through a few 1970s Fiigran catalogues recently, and this pattern didn't crop up. I think I'll see if I can borrow it for a short while, and scan some examples.

But has anyone ever seen an example of Sherdley's 'Twist' :?: :?: :?: , (he says shouting :wink:)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2006, 08:41:25 AM »
Just Chubby Checker's "Twist" so far!

Heck I danced that only last year... :roll:

Just to show what the competition were up to in the '70s. The following is a sample from the catalogue of Unionglas (Germany) who produced the Filigran range:

:shock: click to see full page :shock:

As you can see the similarities are very marked and no doubt the success of Swirl is what prompted these look-a-likes. But also how easy it is to think you've got an experimental or rare pattern.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #317 on: April 30, 2006, 10:35:51 AM »
It was the zig-zag one I thought might be the novelty. I'm fairly confident that the Twist ones are Sherdley because we are literally up the road from Pilkingtons and people from round here but not in the know would lump Pilkingtons, Ravenhead and Sherdley all together

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #318 on: April 30, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »
It was the zig-zag one I thought might be the novelty.

It is one pattern I haven't seen before, but I can't say who made it. As Sue points out the flutes are reminiscent of Fiigran.

With you being in Warrington (strange, I thought you were in Lincs! :oops: ) I can see the obvious link with Sherdleys. But is there any local heritage centre that might have any infomation on their glass, Christine? It does seem rather elusive at present.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2006, 11:43:54 AM »
The champagne glass has been seen by your Cheshire correspondent in Calypto 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand